Thursday, September 1, 2011

Baraka Nyingi, Break Fast for Eid

The fast has ended! For so many in the area the holy month of Ramadan is second nature.  With no food or drink during daylight hours daily life still continues, though many things slow down during the month, especially on the coast and in more concentrated Muslim communities.  People still have to endure the daily grind though, and all must maintain their livelihoods.  When seeing the hardworking laborers around the area it's hard to imagine that many of them observe the holy month while working long days without any daily sustenance, sometimes in intense heat and without even any water until sundown.  Yesterday we went to Fatuma's brother's home for lunch to break the fast with some delicious pilau, kuku, veggies and fruits, and some sodas.  His home is a small place in Arusha town off one of the main roads, a very lively local setting in which I felt honored to be a part of on such a major holiday.  I was welcomed graciously and I enjoyed my day with everyone.  My participation in conversation was limited however, and at times I think Fatuma thought I was uncomfortable or bored, but that wasn't the case at all.  I was just really full from the food and felt a bit slow, and only when Swahili was being spoken could I contribute, but a lot of the conversation was spoken in Fatuma's fascinating and unfamiliar native Iraqw language called, Waasi, one of over 100 other languages spoken in the country besides Kiswahili and English.  It seems interesting but true to say at this point that Swahili is a familiar language to me.  It's only been 3 weeks since I've been back in TZ, but a lot of my knowledge of the language has resurfaced and I feel that I'm actually understanding more than I did two years ago when my studies of the language were supposedly more fresh in my mind.  That is to say, however, that I also do not understand a great deal just as expected.  If I keep practicing on top of the required daily usage for minor interactions and transactions, I shall inevitably improve without any doubt, but like any language, local style and pronunciation is what I'll have to pick up on in order to have effective communication and a keen understanding.  Overall, the pleasant day at Fatuma's brother's home brought upon smiles and a full tummy.  I feel lucky to be connected with people that grant me such opportunities to experience even more of the varying local cultures and the welcoming nature they present.  Eid Mubarak!!










  

No comments:

Post a Comment